Saturday, June 20, 2009

Finding the Right Fit

The week after I graduated, I had a HUGE interview with A Company. They needed to fill a position FAST and they received my name via the CEO of A Company (via my networking). I interviewed with HR for the position. I hit it off with the HR gal, we had some common connections and we got along great. Her intuition told her that I wasn't interested in the department I was interviewing for, but rather the company as a whole. Her intuition was correct. As she once mentioned during my multiple interviews, the team could "smell a consumer PR candidate from a mile away." I didn't get the job and I was actually happy, as I knew, and they must have known, it wasn't the right place for me.

Flash forward one month later. The right opportunity opens up. It is in the Travel & Lifestyle department; THE place I want to be. If I could have my pick of top job, the Account Coordinator position at A Company in the Travel & Lifestyle division would be it. Through another contact, my name gets thrown in the mix, and I get the first interview with HR for the position. They know I want it. This is where I want to be and I couldn't be happier being considered for it.

There's a lesson to be learned from all of this: Even if a company turns you down for a position, don't stop trying. You may be a better fit somewhere else.

Maybe they will see me as a fit. Let's hope they do.

I'm open to criticism, I'm open to praise, but most of all, I'm open to a job offer.

Follow me on Twitter: ChelseyWantsJob

No comments:

Post a Comment